The following formula is a useful guide / checklist for your introduction. Do not deviate from this.
- Introductory quote or hook involving a real life situation (2-3 sentences);
- Unpack the question. Acknowledge contested or ambiguous terms. Rewrite it in your own words to show you understand the key issues;
- Nail your knowledge question;
- Explain how you will address the KQ. Set the parameters and direction of your essay;
- Briefly give your thesis.
Examples of essays with marks and comments.
See more on ISLE
- Essay 1 – Two Ways – Marks and Comments
- Essay 2 – Neutral Question – Marks and Comments
- Essay 3 – Facts and Theories – Marks and Comments
- Essay 4 – Facts and Theories – Marks and Comments
- Essay 5 – WOKS – Marks and Comments
- Essay 6 – Two Ways – Marks and Comments